Learn about careers in rail and connect with industry employers

News & Events

Latest updates on events and rail careers from the Routes into Rail team.

All about degree apprenticeships

Are you thinking about your next steps after finishing school? Looking for a new role? Wanting to take your career to the next level? Consider a degree apprenticeship! Like any apprenticeship, degree apprenticeships combine work and study. The difference is that you will finish your apprenticeship with a degree. You'll be employed by a company and spend most of your time (around 80%) working for them. The remaining 20% will be dedicated to studying for your degree at a university, typically one or two days a week. Degree apprenticeships take three to six years to complete, depending on your level of study (just like a university degree). Usually, you will study towards an undergraduate degree but – if you already have an undergraduate degree and are looking for the next step – some master’s degree apprenticeships are offered. There are many benefits to degree apprenticeships:
  • Earn while you learn: Your employer will pay you a wage while you complete your apprenticeship.
  • No student loans: Your employer will also cover the cost of your university fees, meaning you graduate with no student debt.
  • Gain practical experience: On-the-job training is a key part of a degree apprenticeship. You'll learn from experienced professionals and apply your academic knowledge to real-world situations.
  • Choose from a wide range of options: Degree apprenticeships are available for many different rail careers. So, whether you're just starting out or looking for a career change, you're sure to find a programme that aligns with your interests.
Many companies in the rail industry offer degree apprenticeships – like Colas Rail UK, who offer this type of apprenticeship in areas like signalling, engineering, project management and quantity surveying. Gemma Simmonds, Head of Careers & Development at Colas Rail UK says: “A degree apprenticeship is a great option for anyone who wants to work towards a degree and gain invaluable work experience at the same time. As well as gaining knowledge from your studies, you will learn from experts with first-hand insights. And you will get paid! “We know that getting started in your career or a new industry can be daunting. At Colas Rail UK, we support our degree level apprentices by ensuring the time you spend getting experience and studying with us progresses you to the same level as graduates coming into our business.”
Read more

Rail Open Day for Girls & Women

Colas Rail are hosting a Rail Open day for girls & women. Welcoming anyone in education and career returners. Join Colas on the 4th April 2024 at Fairgate House for what will be a great opportunities available! Main Point of Contact: Jyoti Ghai – Jyoti.ghai@colasrail.com
Read more

Funded by